Nagomi Pastels: Northern Lights
Created by Lee-Jean Lin
Students will learn about the cause of northern lights and the associated mythology and legends.
They will make a stencil and use the style of Japanese Nagomi Pastels to create a drawing of
• Discover the science and legend of the Northern Lights
• Introduce students to the art of Nagomi Pastels
• Learn to layer and blend color
• Use subtractive method to make lines
• Mixed media paper 7” X 10” white 98Lb.
• Studio pastel set: yellow, green, blue, light blue, black, pink, or purple
• Cotton Swabs 5-7
• White card stock 8 ” X 11”
• Regular hard eraser
• Kneaded eraser cut into 6 pieces: 1 piece per student
• Masking tape .” wide: Enough to frame the paper and to hold template in place while working
• Aerosol Hairspray fixative USED ONLY BY ADULTS OUTDOORS
• Glue stick: For affixing AAYF Label
• Paper towel: 1 lightly dampened with water and 1 dry for cleaning fingers
▪ Distance Learning Tips – Suggestions to help make this experience enjoyable for all.
▪ Elements of Art – Resource sheet with vocabulary used by artists.